Radio announcer Andrew ‘Cosi’ Costello has been dumped from Hit Network’s SAFM breakfast show Bec, Cosi & Lehmo, days after he slammed Australian netball players over their Gina Rinehart sponsorship deal saga. 

‘I’ve just been told SAFM has decided to push on in 2023 without the Bec, Cosi and Lehmo breakfast show,’ he wrote on the page.  ‘I’ve loved SAFM so much since I first walked in the doors as a pig farmer from Kadina 23 years ago. They gave me my start in the media and it’s been a wonderful run since then. I wish them well.’

Andrew confirmed on his Facebook page this week he will not return to the show after it was confirmed on-air on Friday.  Andrew’s co-hosts Rebecca Morse and Anthony ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann, will return to the airwaves on November 4 without him. 

Speaking to the Adelaide Advertiser on Saturday, Andrew claimed he wasn’t give any explanation for getting the boot.  ‘I’ve loved SAFM so much since I first walked in the doors as a pig farmer from Kadina 23-years-ago. They gave me my start in the media and it’s been a wonderful run since then. I wish them well’.

‘Eleven years ago … they sat me down and they sacked me. I was mortified. I walked out onto Greenhill Rd and just bawled my eyes out,’ he recalled.  ‘I said, OK, I’ll never get in that position again; I’ll never fall victim to a station dictating my future like that,’ he continued. 

He also noted that it wasn’t the first time he’s been axed from a radio show by SAFM. Back in 2011, he was also dropped from his radio show with Amber Petty, Dave ‘Rabbit’ Rabbetts and Dale ‘Louie’ Lewis. 

‘Fast forward to yesterday and they’ve done it again, but I’m not sad this time. Because I’ve got so much else going on.’ Andrew joined Bec, Cosi & Lehmo back in 2020, but it has been struggling to perform against its rivals.  A shake-up has been speculated for some time. 

The Diamonds refused to wear the company logo in support of Indigenous player Donnell Wallam, over racist comments made by Ms Rinehart’s father, Lang Hancock, about Aboriginal people four-decades-ago. Andrew blasted the netballers’ decision in a furious post to social media.  

Andrew made headlines last week after slamming Australian netballers for ‘spitting in the face’ of mining magnate Gina Rinehart for rejecting her $15million sponsorship deal through her company, Hancock Prospecting. 

‘You’d think a group of ladies would embrace and welcome a successful business woman like Gina. Instead they spat in her face,’ he wrote. Costello recalled how Ms Rinehart had generously supported his charity, Cows for Cambodia, because of her ‘love for the cattle industry’. 

‘She helped us to no end. Never once asking for anything in return,’ he said. ‘She was kind enough to spend $15 million sponsoring this netball team. She didn’t have to. She chose to help them.’

Costello claimed that the billionaire heiress would now find someone ‘more grateful to accept her money’ and that he felt sympathy for her as she only ‘wanted to help’. ‘You’ve lost the sponsor. But at what cost to the rest of the team or the sport???? Time will tell,’ he continued.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here