Christian Horner has been cleared of ‘coercive behaviour’ following an investigation into the Red Bull team principal

0
310

Christian Horner has been pictured for the first time since he was cleared of ‘coercive behaviour’ towards a female colleague on Wednesday. The Red Bull chief who earns £8m a year was the subject of an internal investigation after the accusations which first surfaced publicly on February 5.

Horner, wife of former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, denied all allegations and made his case to a KC, who was tasked as the internal investigator by the team who are the reigning world champions. And on Thursday, he was spotted out and about in Bahrain ahead of the first practice session at the season-opening Grand Prix. The news that Horner would keep his job electrified a cool, dusk paddock in Bahrain on Wednesday. Horner, 50, had repeatedly insisted he was going nowhere throughout the investigation.

Horner was seen alongside Red Bull lead designer Adrian Newey and looked to be in good spirits in the Bahrain sunshine. Red Bull chief Christian Horner has been pictured for the first time since he was cleared of allegations of ‘coercive behaviour’ towards a female colleague on Wednesday afternoon

‘The complainant has a right of appeal. Red Bull is confident that the investigation has been fair, rigorous and impartial. ‘The investigation report is confidential and contains the private information of the parties and third parties who assisted in the investigation, and, therefore, we will not be commenting further out of respect for all concerned. Red Bull will continue striving to meet the highest workplace standards.’ The exact nature of the complaints remain unknown.

He was greeted by the findings as he touched down in the Gulf Kingdom, with a statement from the world champion team’s parent company Red Bull GmbH in Salzburg saying: ‘The independent investigation into the allegations made against Mr Horner is complete, and Red Bull can confirm that the grievance has been dismissed.

Horner was questioned by a KC for a full day at a secret location last month as the barrister gathered evidence that he wrote up in 150 pages for the Red Bull board’s determination over the last few days. Horner was awaiting their adjudication as he took his private jet on the 3,000-mile trip from the UK to Bahrain for the opening race of the season this Saturday.

The allegations were made by a close colleague, with Red Bull GmbH in Salzburg, confirming an internal investigation on February 5. Horner was awaiting their adjudication as he took his private jet on the 3,000-mile trip from the UK to Bahrain for the opening race of the season this Saturday.

He was said to be in good spirits as the day developed, hoping his name would be cleared on landing in the Gulf kingdom on Wednesday afternoon. He did not turn up at the paddock. Former popstar Geri, mother of their seven-year-old son Monty, has stood resolutely by him throughout the ordeal. She is said to be ‘devastated’ by the jolt to their lives, which they split between their farmhouse (and stables) in Oxfordshire and a home in North London.

Horner has won 13 world championships since heading the team as a 31-year-old in 2005. He was then the youngest team principal on the grid, yet is now its longest-serving. He attended pre-season testing in Bahrain last week before returning home, his position seemingly growing stronger as the days progressed.

But he appeared to be up against forces ranged against him within the organisation, notwithstanding the veracity of the accusations. Ford, who are entering an engine partnership with Red Bull from 2026, led calls for a swift conclusion to the saga. In a letter written last Friday, chief executive Jim Farley expressed his displeasure at the ‘unresolved allegations of inappropriate behaviour by Red Bull Racing leadership’.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here