The Baltimore Ravens revealed cornerback Brandon Stephens became ‘acutely ill’ at the team hotel before their game at Cincinnati on Sunday and was taken to a hospital for evaluation. ‘He remained in Cincinnati for treatment and has since returned to Baltimore, where he is feeling better and is in good spirits.’ 

‘Baltimore Ravens CB Brandon Stephens became acutely ill at the team hotel on Sunday morning and was transported to a local hospital in Cincinnati for evaluation,’ the team said in a statement. 

Stephens remained in Cincinnati for treatment but is now back in Baltimore and feeling better, according to the team’s statement Wednesday. Head coach John Harbaugh confirmed that it was an ‘illness-type issue’ and insisted it had not caused a scare for the team. 

‘It’s a health issue, illness-type issue,’ coach John Harbaugh said later Wednesday. ‘I don’t think anybody had a real scare in terms of anything really bad happening, but it was surprising, because he was ready to play, and then all of a sudden that popped up in the morning.’

He has recorded 115 tackles (80 solo) and 11 pass breakups in 32 career games. The Ravens play at Cincinnati again Sunday night in their playoff opener and Stephens’s status for the game is still unknown.

The 25-year-old Stephens has started four games for Baltimore this season, including the two before last weekend. All together the 2021 third-round pick has played in 15 games this season after starting in 11 games last year.

With Stephens and Marcus Peters both inactive last weekend, cornerback Daryl Worley made his first start of the season in the Baltimore secondary.Things are looking more promising for the Ravens however as Harbaugh told reporters he expects Peters to be in the field this week. 

Stephens’ game day illness came just days after Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest during a Monday Night football game against the Bengals. Hamlin received CPR on the field after collapsing and was rushed to hospital following a tacking on Cincinnati wide receiver Tee Higgins. The 24-year-old was discharged from a hospital in Buffalo Wednesday and headed home after making a remarkable recovery. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here