Channel Nine star Cameron Williams has been charged after allegedly assaulting his wife following an argument at their rural property. The sports presenter will face Singleton Local Court on Thursday to face one count of common assault against his wife Natasha Russo. Officers were called to the couple’s property at Howes Valley, just outside of Singleton in NSW’s Hunter Valley region, just after 1am on Sunday. 

It is understood the couple had been spending the weekend at the rural property with friends before the alleged altercation ensued.  William’s solicitor Paul McGirr said his client was a loving family man who was ‘extremely embarrassed by all of this’.

Williams is alleged to have pushed and grabbed his wife during the alleged incident. He was arrested and charged with one count of common assault. Police also took out an apprehended violence order (AVO) on behalf of Ms Russo before the 59-year-old was granted conditional bail. 

‘At this stage there’s a lot more to the story, we’ll enter a plea of not guilty, obtain a brief of evidence and then go from there,’ he told the Daily Telegraph. In a statement, police said officers from the Hunter Valley Police District were called to the property at Howes Valley following reports of a domestic-related incident.

The alleged altercation comes just months after the high-profile newsreader stepped down from his role at Channel Nine due to ‘health reasons’.  Williams announced his resignation in an email to colleagues this week, writing that he was quitting in order to focus upon his ‘health’ and his ‘family’. 

‘Following inquiries, a 59-year-old man was arrested and taken to Cessnock Police Station and charged with common assault (DV),’ the statement read. ‘The Coogee man was granted conditional bail to appear at Singleton Local Court on Thursday 24 November 2022.’

‘It’s with a heavy heart I have decided to resign from Nine. Leaving the best team in News is difficult and being part of that team an honour,’ Williams wrote. ‘But I have struggled for years with increasingly poor health and I want to address that now for the sake of a more important team, my family.’

Williams’ stellar career spanning four decades has also seen him work at The Courier-Mail, The Australian, Fox Sports and Channel 7. The former TV star has responded to a number of messages from well-wishers on Twitter saying he appreciates the support and is eager to return to the screen.‘I need to sort out a few health issues and then back into it. Thanks for your thoughts and hope all well for you,’ Williams wrote.

Nine’s Director of News and Current Affairs, Darren Wick, said at the time ‘Cam is leaving us to focus on his health and then to pursue other opportunities that we look forward to hearing more about.’‘I want to thank Cam for his significant contribution to Nine over the past six years,’ he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here