Natalie Portman has been spending plenty of time in Australia over the last couple of years for various projects and filming commitments. And on Thursday, the actress and her husband Benjamin Millepied, along with their two children Aleph and Amalia, stepped out for dinner in Sydney’s Coogee.
Natalie, 40, put on a casual display in a striped black and white T-shirt and a pair of oversized jeans. She carried a grey sweater in one hand, accessorised with a black crossbody bag, and wore a pair of blue and grey Nike sneakers.
The abrupt departure occurred towards the start of Sydney’s prolonged lockdown due to the Delta variant of Covid-19. It was announced on August 2 that Natalie had quietly pulled out of the movie just a day before filming was set to commence.
Cinematographer Benjamin also kept things casual and discreet in an all black look with a dark navy blue jacket. Portman abruptly pulled out of her movie Days of Abandonment, which was set to be filmed in Sydney, for ‘unforeseen personal reasons’ last year.
The family wasted no time returning to America, as they were seen bundling their belongings from their Vaucluse property into a limo.Days later, Natalie was spotted out and about in Los Angeles.
The move effectively put a stop to production on Days of Abandonment, as the project was left without a lead actress.HBO said in a statement ,‘Due to unforeseen personal reasons, Natalie Portman has stepped down from HBO’s Days of Abandonment prior to the start of filming,’.
‘We send our sincere thanks to our cast, producers, and crew for all their passion and hard work.’ Natalie was also set to executive produce the film, based on the best-selling novel by Elena Ferrante.‘Unfortunately, the production will not move forward. We are very sorry we won’t be able to bring this beautiful story to the screen with our talented writer/director and cast.
The movie had been in pre-production, and centred around a woman named Tess, who abandoned her own dreams in favour of maintaining a stable home life, only for her husband to walk out on her.
The Federal Government had committed $3.4million to the project as part of its location incentive program, while Communication Minister Paul Fletcher had said he expected the production to generate more than $25million for the local economy.
While it’s not known what ‘personal reasons’ prevented her from going ahead with the film, Natalie has deleted the majority of posts from her Instagram account.Natalie, her husband and their two children had relocated Down Under in September 2020 ahead of her filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Sydney.